Apr 30, 2010

spray.

I think that this post finally catches up to current on the bike situation. Technically speaking...

As of right this moment, the painting is half-way finished. We stripped everything down to bare metal; we're talking sanded like crazy, which actually took us a couple of weeks. We used 80-grit paper, wire brushes, scouring pads, and a bit of paint stripper for the tough spots.  All in all, it turned out great.  A final once over with a 110-grit paper got it ready for primer.  I used a grey prime, since I'm using a darker color.  The jury is still out on whether or not the grey will also work under white paint.  Trial and error, my friends.

Two coats of purple later, here's the results... See for yourself:






There's still a bit to go: About two more coats of the base color, a round of wet-sanding for everyone, a little detail work to give it some pizazz, then a nice glossy top-coat.  If you've ever done this before, and you have any tips before I jump in to the top-coat, feel free to share.  I'm a little nervous about getting a nice gloss that will last for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment